If you are a home owner looking for a roofer, check this website. Your roofer will need to be registered with the Attorney General.
Once you are comfortable with your roofer, make sure the proper permit is obtained with the City of Junction City. There will be at least 2 inspections that will need to be performed during the work. Once the roof coverings (shingles) have been removed (this is called the mid-roof inspection) and the final inspection, which is once the roof has been completed.
In the event that any repairs, replacement or alterations are made on any roof coverings, a permit and inspections are required.
Per Section 1510 of the 2012 IBC and Section R907 of the 2012 IRC, no new roof covering shall be installed without removing all existing layers first, to the decking, when the existing roof has two (2) or more applications of roof coverings.
There are 2 different types of permits that could be applied for. The Residential Remodel - Limited permit is for residential properties only. This permit would only require proof of your Kansas State Roofer Registration. The Commercial Remodel is for commercial properties and would require proof of your State Roofer Registration and a General Contractor A, B or Specialty Contractor license.
SECTION 500.415: - APPLICATION AND PERMITS
1. Limited Permits: Applying construction, renovation and/or replacement in - on or at any structure thereto that is a one- (1) or two (2) family dwelling or a townhouse.
(1) Structural roof coverings, must be State licensed in good standing,
(3) Deck, patio or fence, must be verified with planning and zoning for compliance,
(4) Pre-engineered car ports,
3. General Commercial: The construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, renovation, removal and demolition of detached one (1) and two (2) family dwellings and townhouses and their accessory structures to include more than three (3) stories above grade plane in height or addition thereto that is multi-residential or non-residential commercial or industrial as defined the most current edition of the International Building Code and International Residential Code as adopted by reference.
The permit shall be posted on the job site, visible from a public street. Penalty for not posting the required permit:
SECTION 500.450: - PLACEMENT OF PERMIT
(1) First Offense: $25.00.
(2) Second Offense: $50.00.
(3) Third Offense: $100.00: Revocation of Permit, and Stop Work Order.
For any roof permit, there are at minimum 2 required inspections.
1. Mid Roof Inspection/Pre-Inspection: This inspection will be once the existing roof covering has been removed and all decking is exposed. If the permit is for an overlay, the pre-inspection will be to verify the number of layers and condition of existing roof.
2. Final Inspection: This inspection is when the work is complete.
You will need to call for inspections by calling the Building and Code Enforcement office at 785-210-2951. We do ask that you give us some notice on inspections. If you know you are going to need an inspection in the morning, you will need to call the day before, if you need an inspection in the afternoon, you will need to call by 11:30 am that morning.
SECTION 505.310: - GENERAL, INSPECTIONS
1. Construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the Code Administrator and/or appointed staff and such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved.
4. It shall be the duty of the permit applicant to cause the work to remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes.
5. Neither the Code Administrator nor the jurisdiction shall be liable for expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspection.
6. It shall be the duty of the holder of the building permit or their duly authorized agent to notify the Code Administrator and/or appointed staff when work is ready for inspection.
8. Work shall not be done beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining the approval of the Code Administrator and/or appointed staff.
9. The Code Administrator and/or appointed staff, upon notification, shall make the requested inspections and shall either indicate the portion of the construction that is satisfactory as completed, or notify the permit holder or his or her agent wherein the same fails to comply with this Chapter.
10. Any portions that do not comply shall be corrected and such portion shall not be covered or concealed until authorized by the Code Administrator and/or appointed staff.
11. Failure to cause notice to request an inspection by the Design Party Responsible in Charge and/ or the holder of the permit for the need of inspection within a one (1) year period:
(1) FIRST FAILURE TO REQUEST INSPECTION
(2) SECOND FAILURE TO REQUEST INSPECTION
(3) THIRD FAILURE TO REQUEST INSPECTION
$300.00 and revocation of license and/or:
SECTION 500.475: - WORK COMMENCING BEFORE PERMIT ISSUANCE
Any person who commences any work on a building or structure before obtaining the necessary permit shall be subject to an additional fee:
(1) First Offense: $250.00, permit fee doubles
(2) Second Offense: $500.00, permit fee doubles
(3) Third Offense: $1,000.00, revocation of contractor or trades license and permit approval for 1 year.