Storm Water Management

We have all heard in the news about erosion issues on local construction sites and that there could be fines associated with these offenses. But did you know that raking leaves into storm sewers and draining your swimming pool without allowing the chlorine to dissipate is against city regulations? Why? Because the City of Junction City must comply with the requirements of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Process (NPDES) permit process, and the regulations promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Under this permit the City of Junction City is required to meet certain criteria for monitoring and maintaining the City’s storm sewer and waterways.

The City of Junction City is a Phase II city. This means that the City of Junction City must have items in place to meet the requirements of the NPDES permit to operate a Storm Water Management System for the collection, treatment and disposal of Storm Water. They do this by guiding, regulating development and controlling the design, construction, use and maintenance of any development or other activity that disturbs or breaks the topsoil in construction, and regulating non-storm water discharges, controlling the introduction of pollutants, and prohibiting illicit connections and discharges into the Storm Water management system.

This website will change periodically as we add items to meet the requirements set out by our permit. Items that the City of Junction City will be working on are public education programs, establishing a reporting method for citizens to help with the City’s compliance, organization of community clean-ups, implementing inspection programs, requirements for construction projects, develop manuals, offer workshops, and other items. This program is to keep our waters CLEAN. And we need your help!


If you have any questions, please contact us.  We are located at 700 N Jefferson St. Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.  You may reach us by phone at 785-238-3103 Ext 182, fax 785-210-1904 or by email.