Citizen Complaint Process
The Junction City Police Department’s mission is to positively impact the quality of life in the community. We accomplish this by forming partnerships with the citizens, reducing fear, and enforcing the law, thus providing a safe city for all citizens.
Our goals state our employees must be guided by the principles that every individual has infinite dignity and worth and that we must show respect for the citizen we serve and for the men and women of the Department.
A citizen complaint and its subsequent investigation, causes police to examine the service we provide to our community and to make necessary improvements in the way we provide services.
Fill Out the Compliant Form
If you have a complaint, you can fill out the online compliant form and either mail it or drop it off at the Police Department. Please call the Police Department at 785-762-5912 if you have any questions or need assistance filling out the form.
Each complaint will be investigated and appropriate follow-up action taken. You will be informed of the results initiated by your complaint. For more information, see the Citizen Complaint Process section.
How Complaints Are Evaluated
At the conclusion of the investigation, the Internal Affairs unit will make one of the file findings:
- Unfounded - The Investigation conclusively proved that the act complained of did not occur. This finding also applies when an individual employee named in the complaint was not involved in the act which may have occurred.
- Exonerated - The act which provided the basis for the complaint or allegation occurred; however, the Investigation revealed that the act was justified, lawful and proper.
- Not Sustained - The Investigation failed to disclose sufficient evidence to clearly prove the allegation in the complaint or to conclusively disprove such allegation.
- Sustained - The Investigation disclosed sufficient evidence to clearly prove the allegation made in the complaint.
- Sustained Against Policy - The Investigation revealed a faulty policy and/or procedure.
During the calendar year 2019 the Junction City Police Department received a total of 11 complaints that were investigated.
- Sustained - Zero
- Exonerated - Five
- Not Sustained - Zero
- Unfounded - Five
- Sustained Against Policy - One