JCFD Fire Prevention and Inspections
The City of Junction City and the Fire Department have adopted the 2006 International Fire Code as our basis for fire prevention inspections.
Our department's inspection jurisdiction includes, but is not limited to, all businesses, child daycare, hospitals, nursing homes, and schools within the City limits. Annually, the Junction City Fire Department does roughly 330 fire prevention inspections within the City limits of Junction City.
The following are some features JCFD will check during our inspections:
Child Daycares are listed under our Special Occupancy features. Child Daycare inspections have been on the rise in the past few years. Most of these facilities are operated out of private residences and are licensed by the State of Kansas as KDHE. JCFD provides the local jurisdiction fire inspections. A few of the things we look for when we inspect a Child Daycare Facility are listed below:
- Two separate means of exiting the residence.
- Smoke alarms in all sleeping/napping areas.
- Child safety covers on all electrical outlets.
- Readily available fire extinguisher that is serviced yearly.
- Child proof safety latches on all cabinets containing anything other than foodstuffs or cookware.
- Locks on bathroom doors that be opened from the outside.
- Proper venting of natural gas fueled appliances.
- Proper amount of adult supervision for the number of children being taken care of.
An engine company does a lot of our inspections. An engine company consists of one Captain and three Firefighter/EMT`s. We like to do inspections in this manner so that our personnel receive a basic knowledge about inspections as well as familiarizing themselves with the floor plans of businesses.