City Commission Candidate Information
Filing and Withdrawal Deadline
12:00 Noon, January 22, 2013 (K.S.A. 25-2109)
Return Statement of Substantial Interest
February 1, 2013 (K.S.A. 75-4302a)
Primary Election [if ten (10) or more file]
February 26, 2013 (K.S.A. 25-2108a)
April 2, 2013 (K.S.A. 25-2107)
Oath of Office
April 16, 2013 (K.S.A. 25-2120)
Information for Candidates
Candidates may file by Nomination Petition or by paying a $10 filing fee. If filing by paying the $10 fee, you must:
1. Sign the Candidate's Declaration of Intention (Form CS) in front of the City Clerk; and
2. Pay the $10 filing fee. Checks should be made out to the Geary County Clerk.
If filing by Nomination Petition (Form CP):
1. Sign the Candidate’s Declaration of Intention (Form CS) in front of the City Clerk;
2. Collect valid signatures of 50 registered voters from the City of Junction City, which the Geary County Clerk will verify, are required; and;
3. The back of each Nomination Petition must be signed and notarized.
All candidates must pay the State of Kansas $35 registration fee. A separate check should be made out to the Geary County Clerk for this registration fee at the time of filing for office.
The Statement of Substantial Interest form must be completed and returned to the City Clerk's office no later than 10 days after the filing deadline which would be no later than February 1, 2013. Instructions for completing the statement of substantial Interest can be found at the Kansas Governmental Ethic Commission website. Questions concerning the Statement of Substantial Interest form should be directed to the Kansas Commission on Governmental Standards and Conduct at (785) 296-4219 or by e-mail.
The Kansas Commission on Governmental Standards and Conduct will also provide your campaign treasurer with additional forms to be completed. Additional information can be found at their website. The following is a list of forms and information handouts you should receive from the Kansas Commission:
If you have any questions, Please contact Tyler Ficken at (785) 238-3103
Information about placement of political signs (Sections 650.110 & 650.150)