Do I need a burn permit?

It is illegal to have open burning in the city limits of Junction City without a burn permit. A permit can be obtained from the Fire Department. For more information contact us at 785-238-6822.

Section 210.010: Burning Prohibited

No person, firm, or corporation, shall burn, or cause to be burned, any trash, rubbish, leaves, wood, straw, or other combustible material within the City limits of Junction City, Kansas, except in incinerators approved by the State Board of Health; in fireplaces located within homes when said fireplaces have been constructed according to building codes then applicable; in stoves, furnaces, or lights whose construction and installation meet all legal requirements; in charcoal and gas fired outdoor cooking appliances when the purposes of said burning is food preparation; in controlled burning conducted by or under permit from the Junction City Fire Department where said burning is for fire prevention or retarding purposes; in a recreational fire as defined in the 2006 IFC to have a total fuel area of three feet or less in diameter and two feet or less in height for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes. Any recreational fire must be a minimum of fifteen (15) feet from any structure and supervised at all times. Any person, partnership, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this Article shall, upon conviction thereof, be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and be fined no less than $100 or more than $500 or imprisoned for a time not exceeding one month, or both such fine and imprisonment. (CC 1965 Section 7-301; Ordinance Number G-369 Section 1, 3-5-74; Ordinance Number G-1104, Section 1, 1-13-12)

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a burn permit?
2. Do you give fire safety presentation?
3. Do you give tours of the fire station?
4. Do you have a program for juvenile fire setters?
5. Does the Junction City Fire Department charge for its services?
6. How do I report a fire hazard?